Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The publishing of my Child & Domestic Abuse book will be in a few days

Problem
My book is almost finished. I am just waiting for one final essay to be finished. However I have run into a major roadblock. I contacted three distributors/book sellers regarding the book. The first one said simply, "I can't have a book on abuse in my store." The second one said, "Of course I'll distribute the book. It is an important work that is needed by our community. However I don't know a single store that I supply that would take it." The third one said, "The book is important but I can't have a book which is so explicit in description and language. I need a book that any beis yaakov graduate would be comfortable with , a book that any chassidic woman would allow in her home. You need to just say there is an abuse problem and here are the solutions to prevent it - just don't describe what abuse is or use terms such as oral sex, sodomy or incest." LOL

Therefore the problem is how to produce and distribute a book that will be acceptable to the mainstream Orthodox stores. How do I produce a safe enough book which conveys the nature of abuse to those who have no idea of what it entails without describing what it is? Aside from the concerns with content the distributors  were also very concerned that the book would be banned and that they might suffer financially - but they all agreed that I have no way of protecting against this.

Solution
However I have a solution. The book will be initially released as an ebook from Barnes and Noble. This uses the ePub format which is readable on all computers as well as most ebook readers (Kindle is a major problem however.). The Nook free software works also on cell phones. It will also be copy protected (DRM) This produces some significant problems regarding format i.e., the pages are smaller and so navigating is a formidable problem. Formatting is limited and Hebrew can't be displayed. However it can have internal links in the text and so the Table of Contents (12 pages in book format) will provide hyperlinks to the relevant sections. The Nook software not only allows reading the ebook on many different devices but allows you to lend it to others for a 14 day period.

 Once I have a finished version I will also sell it through Amazon for the Kindle. If the ebook version is acceptable to the public then I will see about publishing it either as (publish on demand) or for the stores.

There is also a major advantage to this approach - aside from the fact that I don't need a store or pay for printing (for Barnes & Noble but not Amzaon) - I can update and correct the book free and purchasers can download the latest edition free (This is true only for Barnes & Noble but not Amazon). There is obviously no physical book so there is no problem that your mechutan might see that you are reading a book on abuse or your children might ask what child abuse is. So it won't produce problems for shidduchim.

The ebook of Child and Domestic Abuse hopefully will be available in a few days.

7 comments :

  1. Is it my imagination that the door is slightly tilted to the left?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would urge you to find a way to publish it in print as well. MY wife is a frum therapist and I know she would want to read it, but the truth is, we can't afford a kindle and even on the computer, it's not easy. It's hard to read in bed or on the bus when you have a whole laptop to carry around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ePub format is a good route to go in my opinion. It is a non-proprietary format and is available on more devices. I have a Sony eReader and I read a lot of books in that format on that device.  Most of the books for that device are technical books that I obtain from two online stores.  I receive an e-mail when corrections are made to the text with a link to the updated book. I also read ePub formatted books on my iPod Touch as well.

    Incidentally, I own the Sony PRS-300 Pocket Edition. Since the PRS-350 was introduced a few weeks back, I've seen the PRS-300 as little as $89 (too bad I'm an early adapter of gadgets).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on whatever you end up doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very exciting! (the obstacles notwithstanding)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rabbi Eidensohn,

    Congratulations on your imminent e book publication. I am looking forward to purchasing a copy.

    It is unfortunate that distributors and booksellers have concluded (probably correctly) that they will be pressured about carrying the book which is so necessary. Hopefully that will change, in part because of books like yours. Hatzlachah rabah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rabbi

    try contacting Tuvia's in Monsey, NY. I'm sure he's help you distribute, and he'd definitely stock your book.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE POSTED!
please use either your real name or a pseudonym.